Skip to main content

Poems (Part 3)

More poems from several years ago.

Miracle March 4, 2007

So you want to see a miracle?
I’ll show you one now
So you want to see a miracle?
Right here and right now?
Yeah, I’ll show you a miracle,
I think it’s cool
Of course I think it should be dedicated
To everything bad in my life
To everyone who told me,
“You can’t,” “You won’t,” “Don’t even try”
This is a miracle for you,
You pessimists, you bullies
Always picking on me
So you want to see a miracle?
Well, look at me
You said I’d never swim,
I’d never spell it right,
I’d never be in first,
I couldn’t win this fight
You said I wouldn’t do it,
You emphasized on couldn’t.
The world didn’t need me,
It’d be better if I weren’t born
So you want to see a miracle?
Just look at me!
You said I couldn’t do it,
But I did.
You said I wouldn’t do it,
But I did.
I tell you I’m a miracle,
Because I made it through
You gave me every reason to give up,
I should’ve let you win.
You see I'm a miracle,
Because I made it through
You put me down,
But I stepped up,
I knew it wouldn’t do
I had to fight,
And make it right
Now I’m the greatest,
The best,
Most famous.
You’re troubled,
Stuck,
All out of luck
I have every reason to hate you, insult you, even put you down
Then I’d be like you, oh so long ago.
I didn’t like it.
Why would you?
Here let me help you,
You’ll make it through.
Let’s forget those years,
And start our lives out right.
Let’s not despise,
Nor curse,
Nor hate.
I forgive you for the past,
And want to be your friend.
Let me help you through your troubles
It’ll be all right in the end.
So you want to see a miracle?
Look at me now.
I’ve befriended my enemies,
That’s quite a trial.
So you want to see a miracle?
Look at us now.
We overcome our differences,
We’re something new.

Please Listen April 24, 2007

Why does everyone always try to tell me what I’m saying before I’ve said a word?
SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME!!!!!
You’re taking words out of my mouth and trying to explain what I’ve said before I’ve said anything.
We’re in a discussion where I make a comment
But your comment is accusing me,
Telling me I’m stupid.
You may not literally say I’m stupid, but the tone in your voice says that I am.
I try to calmly explain,
But you continuously interrupt and tell me what I’m explaining.
So just SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME!!!!
You don’t understand,
You’re just twisting my words to how you want to hear them.
Then more people overhear and try to see what’s going on.
They think they know and they start doing the same thing you are.
They’re telling me what I’m saying before I’ve even said it.
I’m trying to keep calm and explain it to everyone,
But to be heard over all of you my voice starts to climb.
Everyone’s accusing me and not stopping to listen.
I’m confused by the voices
Which are telling me I’m wrong.
They’re telling me what to say and I don’t want to say it!
With so many people
And so many voices,
I can’t take it anymore
I’ve tried to explain
You twisted my words
And are too stubborn to listen.
I’ll just stop talking now.
You don’t even care.
You don’t know what I’m feeling.
You’ve hurt me,
Deep inside.
You won’t take the time to listen,
This issue is bothering me,
You don’t want to listen, now I’ll just go away.
When you finally stop talking
And realize I’m not there anymore,
I hope you feel stupid,
Saying my words I’ve never said.
‘Course you don’t realize they’re my words.
You think they’re your own.
But the way that you said them?
You said they were mine.
Away from the words
And the mess that was made,
I’m silently crying
Annoyed and betrayed.
You won’t take the time to listen,
I just want to be heard.
I have a problem,
But you’d rather talk.
Sometimes a person just needs an ear,
Sometimes a person,
Needs to know you are near.
I needed someone,
Who would listen and be there,
But I got the cold shoulder
And was told to be quiet.
I needed a friend,
To bring me some comfort,
I wouldn’t feel so bad if you hadn’t started talking for me.
I was just making a comment.
You turned it into a battle.
I tried to explain in a soft, easy voice.
You took it as a challenge,
And threw it right back.
I was just making a comment,
You made it a battle.
Congratulations,
You most definitely won.
I just made a comment,
‘Midst friendly ear,
But the ear was deceiving,
It turned away,
Leaving me to face the mouth,
Which was only advancing.
I tried to be calm,
I tried to be patient,
But when you talk that loud,
And talk me down,
And tell me I’m wrong,
Why should I be here?
I don’t need this from you.
It was simple conversation,
That wasn’t so simple.
Here I'm now crying,
I can’t stop thinking about you.
What you said hurt me deep,
From the way that you said it.
You knew you were louder,
You knew you were rude,
And yet you kept talking.
I knew I was losing,
So I took the lead.
I told you “forget it,”
And left the scene.
You snicker and mock,
You think I’m a baby.
You say I’m overreacting,
And I hear every word.
The bathroom is solitary,
No interruptions,
No noise,
Except for my crying,
But it’s not sound proof.
I can hear you in the next room.
You’re still talking loudly,
With a gradual decrease,
But I hear every word,
And almost wish I was dead.
It was a stupid topic,
Now you know why I hide.
I don’t feel you listen,
You push me aside.
Sometimes I don’t care,
But when I do you should know.
You think that I’m quiet,
But I feel overrun.
If you gave me a chance,
And let me do the talking,
Just give me five minutes,
Or tell me you’re done.
Either we can talk later,
Or tell everyone else to stay out of the conversation.
If I wanted to talk to them I would!
But I’m talking to you.
Please tell me to stop,
Or shut up and listen!!

What the ...? December 27, 2007

I’m just a little bit peeved at the world
You see me as someone to toss all around
You think that I’m joking and don’t see it at all
I’m not a puppet
I see through your mask
There’s no way to hide it
You’re as clear as glass
You have great ideas
Then tell me to plan it
All grandeur and fancy
Without the slightest mistake
You make it sound wonderful, funny, superb
But did you remember
You gave it to me?
You tell me I said things
I most certainly didn’t
I was right there along
When I know that I wasn’t
You tell me you thought so
I tell you you’re wrong
Don’t look at me all confused and depressed
I might not have said no
But I didn’t say yes
I like your ideas
Really I do,
But from where I’m standing
They just won’t do
I know all my friends
And yes they are busy
You tell me to do it
But I know that they can’t
Did you stop to think that maybe they’re busy?
I already have
And that’s why I’m complaining.
You said it was a joke
So I let it go.
Then you suggested that we carry on as we’d planned
And I’m saying “are you mad?”
Yes it would be fun
But I can’t do it alone
I want you to meet them
But I’m too soft to say no.
If I invite one
Then the rest have to follow
Whether I like them or not
They’ll be here you know.
Remember your parties?
Only your friends
When I throw a party
Everyone sends
It isn’t my party
There’s never a medium.
I say let’s do this
And they all walk away
Is it really my fault
That I’m not very social?
That I can’t say a word
Until you’ve said one first?
My whole life I’ve been taught
Education is first
Then you play with your friends
But not before church
I’ve always been busy
I’ve been told to forget
Focus on studies
Don’t live with regret.
If you do all this now
You’ll be happier later
But what about now?
I want a life
I’m tired of study
I’ve made some friends
It used to be easy.
A tomboy I was
I didn’t like boys
Or the color pink
But my life is changing
So shouldn’t I?
No longer a kid
I’m almost grown up
And yet you still treat me
Just like before.
I’m incredibly angry
I’ve matured so much more
Not one for contention
It pains me to do this
We’ve moved many times
Why should this make a difference?
In most other places the guys are all jerks
My friends play with faces
They don’t give a care
I’m glad you enjoyed it
Really, go back.
But I like it here
In this new little corner
I threw a big fit
Before we arrived
And now I regret it
For here I’m alive
I’m not just a shadow
A freak on the side
I share the spotlight
And decide most the time
No longer the backseat
The driver I am
I actually have friends here
And they like me
I can be myself here
I don’t need to hide
And maybe I’m changing
But I like it just fine.
You think that I’m scary
You don’t understand
I like most things
Never heard of before
This is my life
And it’s going great

Song 2007
What type of a home did you live in?
Was it a happy place to be?
I’m talking about home in the north,
The land surrounded by sea.

What type of a home did you live in?
Did everyone love you there?
What type of a home did you live in?
I just might go there

Did your mom tape your report cards up on the wall,
And proudly show anyone who came by for tea?
Did your dad sing you songs
Before tucking you in bed?
I know mine never did.

Did you have a lot of siblings to walk with to school,
To help you with your homework,
And pick you up when you fell?

If your home was like this
I want to go see
That home in the north,
The land by the sea.

I picture your home
And dream of it there
Where nothing is wrong
And everyone cares

I wish I could have lived
A life much like yours
Way up in the northland
Surrounded by sea

My dad was in trouble
We ran from the law
We were always moving
Getting out of the way
I tried not to cry
Thank goodness for wind
It blew them away

I left all my friends
And my comfortable bed
My bed is a box
And the birds are my friends

My home wasn’t happy
It grew colder with pride
My brother was drunk
And my sister… she died
I didn’t have school
No one knew
My family was hiding
From the law we flew

We didn’t have money
It was taken away
By the big man in black
Who carried a sack

I don’t like this song and it’s not going to end how I want it to. Therefore I’m not going to finish it. I’ve repeatedly tried to turn it around and make the ending happy, but with the direction it’s going, I think this little girl will die, and that’s not what I want.

Chinese Proverbs
-Do not want others to know what you have done? Better not have done it anyways.
-Experience is a comb which nature gives to men when they are bald.
-Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
-A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
-Have a mouth as sharp as a dagger but a heart as soft as tofu.
-He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
-If you are patient in a moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.
-If you do not study hard when young you'll end up bewailing your failures as you grow up.
-If you have never done anything evil, you should not be worrying about devils to knock at your door.
-If you must play, decide on three things at the start: the rules of he game, the stakes, and the quitting time.
-If you wish to know the mind of a man, listen to his words.
-It is later than you think.
-A filthy mouth will not utter decent language.
-Be the first to the field and the last to the couch.
-Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
-He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.
-If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family helps you heal

When I lost my baby a few months ago, I had a miscarriage in the first trimester, I was upset. I grieved for the baby I wouldn't get to hold. While talking about it with my husband, he gave me a great idea for how to process my grief. I was afraid of forgetting my baby. I hadn't felt any movement and barely knew the baby was there before I lost it. I was worried that I would forget. That our family would forget the precious soul that should have joined us. I wanted to make a memorial for my baby. Nothing fancy or showy for the world, just a reminder for our family. I love pyrography, wood burning, so my husband suggested that I make a wooden memorial such as a family tree. I loved that idea! I spent the next hour thinking about how to do it and what I would need. I made several sketches of my tree. I was on fire with the plan for remembering my baby. It was a helpful project for me. I'm proud to say that I finished my family tree this weekend. It was wonderful spending the

Oh Lord, My Redeemer

Christ's Love by Del Parson Oh Lord, My Redeemer by Jeff Goodrich And the Roman soldiers laughed When they saw their pris'ner stumble He did not revile them back. And wondering, I asked, "Who was this man so humble?" And a woman at my side Choked on her reply. Though she struggled not to weep, The tears poured down her cheek, Her heart breaking as she cried: "Oh Lord, my Redeemer, Thou has done so much for me! Oh Lord, my Redeemer. All my love I give to Thee!" And the crowd went pushing on. I felt compelled to follow. I knew that they were wrong How they mocked Him all along. Suddenly my heart felt hollow. For they nailed Him to a tree On a hill called Calvary. While I stood there filled with wonder, The heavens roared with thunder, And again I heard this plea: "Oh Lord, my Redeemer, Thou has done so much for me! Oh Lord, my Redeemer. All my love I give to Thee!" I could not forget His face As I wandered fro

Potted Plant

I feel like a potted plant in the ground. I’m in the ground, but still in my pot. This is where I’ve been placed, but I feel like I’m going to be moved again, so I can’t get out of my pot. If I do, the move will be more traumatic. I don't feel like I belong here. It's really hard for me to make friends. I don't think I can reach out to anyone because I'm so transient that all my friendships end when I leave. We live in Virginia right now. We'll be here for the foreseeable future, but I still feel like I have my hand ready to grab the suitcase and run. It's really difficult for me to make connections. I want connections. I don't want to be lonely. I want to find my tribe, my people, my place. I don't know how. I'm afraid to reach out. My self esteem is so low I constantly worry about what others will think of me if I reach out. I'm stuck in my pot while trying to stick out my roots. It's not very effective. I don't feel like I belong an